City of Watertown Outdoor Burning- Recreational
Rules and Regulations
Section 303-12, “Outdoor burning restrictions””
Outdoor Burning Restrictions of the Watertown City Ordinances. Pursuant to that section and Section 16.11(5), the citizen shall have the following responsibilities: (a) To adhere to all health and fire prevention codes, and (b) To have adult supervisory personnel present at the site of the open burning, and (c) To comply with the following regulations of the Watertown Fire Department.
The Fire shall be limited by the following conditions:
- Any fire deemed to be a public health nuisance by the fire chief or his or her designee shall be extinguished.
- The fire shall be for recreational or ceremonial purposes only.
- These conditions shall apply to all manufactured burring rings, fireplaces, fire pits, chimneys or like devices.
- No manufactured device shall be placed on any combustible surface.
- The fire must be completely extinguished before the fire location may be left unsupervised.
- The fire shall be no larger than three (3) feet in diameter.
- No flammable liquids shall be used to start or support the burning.
- Only virgin wood and charcoal fuel will be allowed to be burned.
- Under no circumstances will plastics, trash, garbage, oils, hydrocarbon fuels, furniture, fabrics, leaves, yard waste, synthetic materials of any kind, pressure-treated wood or wood that has been finished with paints, varnished, laminates or a similar finish be burned.
- The fire shall not be located less than ten (10) feet from property lines nor less than twenty (20) feet from any building or structure. (This does not apply to manufactured devices.)
- A function extinguished aid must be present, such as a fire extinguisher, garden hose, etc.
Section 16.11(6) of the Watertown Municipal Ordinances allows that the Fire Chief, in times of extreme dryness or drought, deficiency in the water supply or by reason of any other emergency, is authorized to prohibit the setting of any fires upon any lands within the City of Watertown.
Violation of this ordinance is subject to a forfeiture of not less than $40.00 bond plus court costs, pursuant to Section 16.11 of the City of Watertown Ordinances.